I spotted him the moment we sat down in the restaurant.
I like observing the waiters, as I will never lose that identity in me.
His walk was different, forced...
He looked exhausted, moving with a rhythm that spoke of both pain and weariness.
Every step seemed heavier than the last, yet he carried on, delivering plates, clearing tables, and greeting customers with a practised smile.
When our food arrived, pizza juices spilt over the edge of the tray onto the tablecloth.
We pointed it out, out of concern...
He rushed back immediately. His face flushed with embarrassment, and he could not stop apologising.
“I’m so sorry,” he said. “It’s been a long day.”
The genuine concern was clearly painted across his face.
I looked at him and smiled.
“Don’t worry about it,” I said. “Nobody died, right? The tablecloths go to the laundry anyway.”
For a moment, the tension left his shoulders. The smile he gave in return was different from the one he had been offering customers all evening. This one was real.
As he walked away, still tired and still carrying the weight of the day, I was reminded that we never truly know what someone is carrying behind their smile.
Kindness costs us nothing, yet it can make someone’s difficult day feel just a little lighter.
So, if you ever find yourself frustrated in a restaurant over small things, pause for a moment and remember the emotional labour that hospitality professionals endure.
Be kind, even when you are tired from your own day. One day, someone else may return that same kindness to you in your own workplace.
Or you may even get extra cheese on your pizza from a tired hospitaler who appreciates your sense of chill...

Comments
Post a Comment